SARS news


Tax Season 2018 Thank you South Africa for doing the right thing and filing your tax return by the deadline of 31 October. We thank you for playing your part in building our country. For those who missed the deadline, you are still expected to file your outstanding tax return. Administrative penalties may apply.   Tax Season deadlines The deadline for non-provisional taxpayers was brought forward to allow more time for finalising audits before the year ends:   Channel Deadline Type of Taxpayer Manual – post or at SARS branch 21 September 2018 Non-provisional and provisional eFiling or electronic filing at SARS branch 31 October 2018 Non-provisional eFiling 31 January 2019 Provisional To download the Tax Season 2018 key dates directly into your calendar, click here.    Tips for filing your tax return Don’t file if you don’t need to You do not need to submit a return if ALL the criteria below apply to you: Your total employment income / salary for the year (March 2017 to February 2018) before tax (gross income) was not more than R350 000; and You only received employment income / salary for the full year of assessment (March 2017 to February 2018) from one employer; and You have no car allowance/company car/ travel allowance or other income (e.g. interest or rental income); and You are not claiming tax related deductions/rebates (e.g. medical expenses, retirement annuity contributions other than pension contributions made by your employer, travel). If you are still unsure if you need to file a tax return, click here.  Top tip: If you have your Identity Number and Tax Number you can now also call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277; press 3 (for a tax related enquiry) and then select 1 to find out whether you are required to submit an Income Tax Return (ITR12) this Tax Season.
How to retrieve your eFiling login details and reset your password Two ways to do it: Go to SARS eFiling click the green LOGIN button and follow the prompts.
Forgot both your login name and password? First complete the I forgot my login name process > wait for your email or SMS notification containing your login name > use this login name to complete the I forgot my password process.  Call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277 during office hours. Have your ID number and tax reference number on hand. Press service menu option 0 and follow the prompts. Your new password will be sent to you by email or SMS.
Register For eFiling You must be a registered taxpayer with a tax reference number to register for eFiling. Go to SARS eFiling > click Register > follow the 7 easy steps. Remember, SARS may need 48 hours to verify and approve your registration you can eFile. If you need to submit documents for your registration, you have 21 business days to do so.
  Need help to eFile? With Help-You-eFile, help is just a click or a call away. Click the Help-You-eFile icon, accept the term and conditions and select Call Me.  A SARS agent will call you and will help you every step of the way while you’re eFiling. (This service is available during office hours only.) 
Need your Tax Reference Number?  Get it on eFiling if you are registered as an eFiler. Simply login and locate your number on the Income Tax work page. Request it verbally from the SARS Contact Centre. Have your ID number on hand as we will have to authenticate who you are. Ask your employer for it. Visit your nearest SARS branch. Please take along your ID. Get it on the Notice of Registration you received from the SARS. Top tip: SARS will not provide your tax number to another person, unless the person is your tax practitioner or has power of attorney to conduct your tax affairs.  
Who is a Provisional Taxpayer? Any person who receives income (or to whom income accrues) other than a salary, is a provisional taxpayer.  Most salary earners are therefore non-provisional taxpayers, if they have no other sources of income. It is important to note that receiving exempt income, as follows, does not make you a provisional taxpayer: If you receive interest of less than R23 800 if you are under 65; or If you receive interest of less than R34 500 if you are 65 and older or; You have income in a tax free savings account.